As a program of the Youth Employment Academy, Arts Street uses the power of creativity to help young adults in breaking the cycle of generational poverty in Denver communities by gaining personal and economic stability through education, arts and technology, and employment training.
1079 Osage Street Denver, CO 80204 (Mariposa District)
Arts Street@YEA uses the creative arts to empower youth to pursue future education and employment opportunities. It harnesses their talents, provides them with real-world experience in creative industries, and helps them build valuable skills for the future through our arts-based programming.
Arts Street’s Creative Industry Academies utilize up-to-date technologies to introduce youth to careers in creative industries such as graphic design, videography, marketing, and web design. Our internship opportunities provide youth real-world “learn & earn” experience working on client-based public art and design projects in a working studio while learning valuable job readiness training.
Finally, Arts Street’s studio mentorship provides a safe space where youth can continue to build their creative skills, find their own passions and pursue further education.
Through Arts Street’s EntrepreMURALship program, youth artists engage in community-centric art projects that benefit low-income communities, especially communities with DHA housing developments. Some past Arts Street community projects have included: Journey 2 Unity, bringing communities together around the issues of immigration; EnvironMENTAL, exploring the intersection of climate change and mental health and offering solutions to City Council representatives, and the Vote Project, which included “get out the vote” poster designs.
- Offer youth the foundational knowledge and skills required to succeed in the creative industry.
- Provide supplemental income to youth in the internship program.
- Offer a safe, supportive, cohort-based environment for youth to explore their professional interests and plan their next career steps.
- Create public art installations and murals in low-income communities.
- Empower cohorts of youth to find their voice, become leaders, and advocate for social change in their communities.
Instant creativity arises
The moment I arrive
I could come down
Do my poetry, drawing or graphic design
Turns more positive
With the door opening moment
Come here with a motive
They helped me create
And now the people take notice’’
– Excerpt from poem by Arts Street youth Mikuh M., age 19