The Housing Authority of the City and County of Denver (DHA) is seeking a highly motivated chef with experience managing all
kitchen operations including food preparation and quality control, kitchen staff management and training, financial reporting of food
and supply items, kitchen waste, and kitchen labor.
The Osage Café operates as a social enterprise café and training program for underserved youth interested in careers in the culinary
industry. The Osage Café is a program of Youth Employment Academy (YEA), a nonprofit dedicated to serving young adults in
breaking the cycle of generational poverty in Denver by gaining stability through education, arts and technology, and employment
training. The Osage Café offers a full breakfast and lunch menu featuring fresh soups, salads and sandwiches at affordable prices,
provides large and small catering offerings, and produces wholesale grab-and-go options. The Café is certified as a green business by
the City of Denver striving to operate sustainably for the environment. It is open from 8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. Monday through Friday
and is located at 1099 Osage Street in the Mariposa District.
Youth in the program first participate in a 48-hour classroom-based curriculum that covers knife skills, recipe reading, measuring
techniques, food safety, sanitation, and nutrition and receive the National Restaurant Association’s ServSafe certification. Next,
youth complete a 120-hour internship, building practical front- and back-of-house skills in an on-the-job training setting. Skills
covered include serving, point of sales, food prep, line cooking, dishwashing, and superior customer service. Youth learn from the
Osage Cafe Chef who manages the kitchen, ensures food quality, and offers mentorship to aspiring chefs. At the completion of their
internship, Osage Café helps youth find placements in permanent jobs or additional post-secondary training.
– Sick leave is accrued at 6 hours per month.
– Vacation leave for new employees is accrued at 8 hours per month.
– 11 paid holidays per year with an optional paid day off.
– Health insurance and 125 Plan.
– Group life insurance, pension plan (equal to 10% of the annual salary), short term and long term disability insurance are
paid by DHA.
– Dental plan, vision insurance, critical illness insurance, accident insurance, 457 pension plan and the Roth IRA are employee
– Performance based merit increases and cost of living adjustments are given depending upon current policy.
Minimum Qualifications at the Time of Application
– High school diploma or GED with some college, Bachelor’s degree preferred
– Valid Colorado driver license and good driving record must be maintained in accordance with personnel policy.
– Experience working with culturally diverse populations.
– Two (2) years’ experience maintaining inventory, ordering food, beverages and other supplies.
– Three (3) years’ cooking in restaurant kitchen, preferably in management or leadership role.
– Basic accounts payable experience with an understanding of restaurant costing and pricing for food and beverage.
– ServSafe Certification.
$44,796.28 to $55,995.35/year. Must include salary requirement with application and/or resume.
How to Apply
You may apply for this position in one of the following ways:
* by faxing your application and/or resume to (720) 932-3005 or
* by emailing your application and/or resume to email@example.com.
DHA is an equal opportunity employer.
Recruitment will remain open until filled.